If you belong to an NYSBC-affiliated institution
You have access to both the instrumentation and staff resources of MEMC. If you are interested in embarking on an EM project, please follow these steps:
- Create an Account – Create a MEMC account for yourself with the following form: MEMC Account Registration. Note: You must create an account from a member institution IP address. Once created you may then log in from anywhere.
- Register Your Project – After creating a new account, register your project by clicking ‘Add a new Project.’
- Review Our Information – Read the resources and capabilities of the Member Electron Microscopy Center on our website.
- Schedule a Meeting – Arrange a meeting with the MEMC staff by emailing memc [a] nysbc.org and notify your Institutional Representative.
If you are a member of an affiliated institution
These MEMBER INSTITUTION SERVICES are covered by Annual Dues:
- Advanced instrumentation and expertise for Electron Microscopy
- Training in instrumentation and techniques, including accredited classes and individual instruction
- Assigned, dedicated instrument time is part of consortium membership – there are no special fees beyond annual membership dues.
- 2 grid clippings per day of autoloader data collection.
PLEASE NOTE: Annual dues do not cover the laboratory supplies and consumables you will need.
New User Orientation [monthly]
New users are required to attend New User Orientation before use of the facility. We offer these 1-day orientation sessions at the beginning of each month from 9:30am to 2:00pm. The morning session covers the general laboratory policies and safety training. The afternoon session includes a demonstration of TEM use and introduction to Leginon. New users are strongly encouraged to do background reading before their first microscope session.
Following orientation, users may request time and assistance with MEMC staff on instruments until they gain sufficient experience instrumentation independently. Please note that each instrument requires individual training and sign off, which will be provided by MEMC staff on a one-on-one basis. Additional training is required for 24 hour access; the initial sign off is only for use of equipment during normal business hours (9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday).
Please email Cathleen Castello at memc [a] nysbc.org to inquire about future orientation session dates.